The Staff and Governors of Bradleys Both Community Primary School consider the emotional health and wellbeing of all children and staff as being extremely important in our modern-day world. Our school values and aims provide a caring and supportive ethos for all members of our school community, where each individual and contribution is valued. We know that everyone experiences life challenges that can make us vulnerable and at times, anyone may need additional emotional support. We take the view that positive mental health is everybody’s responsibility and that we all have a role to play within our whole school family.
At Bradleys Both we will:
- support children and adults to understand and talk about their emotions and feelings
- encourage children and adults to feel comfortable and able in sharing any concerns or worries they may have
- help children and adults to develop emotional resilience and to manage challenging situations that arise
- help children and adults to form and maintain appropriate relationships with others.
- promote confidence and self-esteem
- teach children and adults that their views and thoughts are important and value
Our school promotes a mentally healthy environment through:
- Promoting our school values and aims
- Encouraging a sense of belonging to our whole school family.
- Promoting pupil voice and opportunities to participate in decision-making
- Celebrating and valuing academic and non-academic achievements
- Providing opportunities to develop a sense of worth through taking responsibility for themselves and others
- Providing opportunities to reflect and learn from experiences.
- Access to appropriate support that meets their needs when appropriate
Resourcing & Staff Training
Resourcing and staff training are important to our school. A Pastoral Teaching Assistant is employed to support the wellbeing of individual and groups of children during the week. This member of staff is available for any child to speak to during the week and is timetabled to work across the whole school.
Bradleys Both Community Primary School works in partnership with the charity Compass Buzz. Teachers and Teaching Assistants have completed Level 1 and Level 2 Mental Health and Wellbeing training with Compass Buzz. In addition three key staff have completed level 3 Mental Health and Wellbeing training and the Headteacher has completed training at Level 4 for Leaders and Training in Developing Wellbeing Champions with Compass Buzz.
Our school has developed a Reflection Room where individual and small group work can take place. The Reflection Room is equipped with different lighting, bean bags, colour therapy resources and wellbeing resources to support children in communicating and sharing their feelings and thoughts. The Reflection Room is timetabled for use by different classes and groups of children.